Harvey E. Najim Family YMCA
San Antonio, Texas 78214
Job Description and Requirements
Instructs group classes in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Leads energizing, fun, safe, and educational group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals.
2. Answers questions from members to support them in achieving their goals related to healthy living. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
3. Builds effective, authentic relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
4. Keeps accurate class attendance records.
5. Begin each class with a Higher Thought or inspirational word.
6. Attend all required staff meetings, both departmental and branch/association level.
7. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
8. Maintain certifications by meeting continuing education requirements (YMCA certifications require 15 CEC's every 3 years) and keep current with trends in the field/industry.
9. Refrain from diagnosing injuries, offering medical advice and dispensing or endorsing any and all commercial health products especially nutritional supplements, vitamins, performance enhancing substances and pain relievers.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person's point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and
procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
2. Knowledge of group exercise equipment, sound system, cardiovascular and strength training knowledge, health and wellness.
3. Must have effective interpersonal skills and be able to facilitate group interaction/socialization and exhibit teamwork with members, co-workers and management staff.
4. National certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification is required or must be obtained within 6 months of employment.
5. Certification in areas of expertise (examples: YMCA Group Cycling, Les Mills Bodypump, ZUMBA) is required.
6. Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods Bloodborne Pathogens and Hazardous Communications.
7. Certifications required within the first 60 days of hire: YMCA Healthy Lifestyles, CPR Pro and First Aid.
If working at a location with a pool, must also complete O2 certification
1. Work may be performed indoors in a health & wellness facility with use of fitness equipment
or outdoors, depending of class format
2. Physical ability to conduct classes and activities.
3. Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including leading class, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
4. Visual acuity is required for reading computer screens and other documents as well as teaching a safe group exercise class.
5. Instructor must possess the ability to correct unsafe movement, deliver instructions to a variety of learning styles and respond the need of a large diverse group as it relates to a group exercise class.
Harvey E. Najim Family YMCA
[posted Apr 16, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference exercisejobs.com.