Job: Wellness Support Director
Wellness Support Director
YMCA of Central Ohio
Columbus, Ohio 4315
Job Description and Requirements
Oversees the operations of the Wellness Support program and team in a manner that members feel supported in and are making progress toward their goals while developing a sense of connection both with the Y cause and other members. Will also be responsible for working with YMCA Permanent Supportive Housing programs and residents who have a history of chronic homelessness, addiction and/or mental health barriers.
Bachelor's degree in exercise science/therapy, social work, psychology or related field, and two years experience working in health and wellness or social service environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
LSW or LISW preferred.
Passionate belief in the Yâs cause of nurturing the potential of all youth, supporting healthy living for all people and finding ways to help and support our neighbors.
Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and database programs.
Proven track record of developing authentic relationships with others.
Ability to foster a collaborative team approach to solving challenging situations.
YMCA Team Leader certification; if not certified, must obtain certification within 12 months
CPR, First Aid, AED and O2 certifications must be obtained within 90 days.
Listen First and Motivational Interviewing trainings must be completed in first 90 days.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following, other duties may be assigned:
1. Thinks, communicates and behaves as a cause-driven leader and role model for other staff and members when it comes to desired staff behaviors; promotes youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility in all job-related functions.
2. Screens, trains, and supervises the Wellness Support Team comprised of the group exercise coordinator, personal trainers, wellness coaches, and wellness center attendants.
3. Leads the Wellness Support Team by supervising and performing the following duties:
Conduct post-enrollment interviews where members discuss goals, barriers, gifts and interests and develop plans to meet their individual needs
Instruct resident members on how to use wellness equipment and areas utilizing proper form and etiquette
Introduce new resident members to group exercise communities
Help members to connect with one another to form friendships
Regularly checking on members' progress in meeting goals (both formally and informally)
4. Leads continuous improvement efforts focused upon established key Association benchmarks including but not limited to the following measures:
- % of new resident members who meet with a wellness support team member to discuss goals, gifts and interests.
- % of new members who report that the staff at the Y helped them to develop a plan to meet their health and wellness needs.
- % of members reporting that staff checks on my progress and discusses it with me.
- % of members reporting that they were introduced to group exercise community.
- % of members reporting that they have friends at the Y.
- % of members reporting that team members are both friendly and competent.
- % of members reporting that they feel welcome and that staff know their name.
5. Leads personal training efforts by supervising and performing the following duties:
- Ensure personal trainers and sessions are meeting safety and outcome best practices from the sale to end result.
- Ensure that innovation is integrated into the program through marketing and revenue by way of PT sessions, assessments, specialty training, and workshops with an emphasis on small groups and weight management.
- Create, administer, and deliver incentive programs in collaboration with Membership Team.
6. Develops and manages the schedule of the Wellness Support Team so that resident member needs are met, and labor costs are within established guidelines.
7. Ensures smooth operation of the wellness center and a positive, comfortable atmosphere for all members by maintaining equipment in clean, safe, and working order and communicating updates in a timely manner to both members and staff.
8. Collaborates with the branch executive director and his/her management team to ensure the safe and responsible operation of the Y including rotating responsibilities for overall facility supervision and program coverage.
9. Acts as a liaison between housing and membership team regarding resident concerns and progress. Provides monthly case management note.
10. Educates and conducts cultural competency training/scenarios with membership team to build their understanding of resident mental and physical health needs/behaviors.
11. Utilize the Transtheoretical Stages of Change model as a foundation to guide program development and delivery specific to the resident population.
- Manages between two and twelve members of the Wellness Support team, depending upon the size of the branch.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organizationâs policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, screening, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising and coaching performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
$40,000.00 - $43,000.00
YMCA of Central Ohio
[posted Oct 4, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference exercisejobs.com.