Westside Family YMCA
San Antonio, Texas 78228
Job Description and Requirements
Under the direction of the Wellness Director, the Personal Trainer will assist members in attaining their wellness potential through programs approved by the YMCA of Greater San Antonio. The position will be instrumental in helping the member set goals, both long and short term and develop self-management
skills consistent with sustained health behavior change. This position must perform program responsibilities in accordance with the policies, goals and mission set forth by the YMCA of Greater San Antonio.
1. Conduct personal training sessions for YMCA members, as assigned by supervisor.
2. Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive, safe and nurturing environment.
3. Track assigned members' individual adherence and take appropriate action to motivate members to continue their YMCA membership and exercise adherence.
4. Follow strength training and nutritional guidelines of the YMCA of the USA.
5. Submit key indicator data as needed to supervisor and perform other duties to achieve group and personal goals.
6. Attend appropriate and required training classes offered by the YMCA of San Antonio.
7. Promote the "YMCA Story" with all involved in the program.
8. Remain alert to the condition of equipment and report any concerns to supervisor.
9. Follow accident reporting procedures and policies.
10. Follow systems, practices, and training related to risk management and safety of participants and staff.
11. Submit key indicator data as needed to supervisor and perform other duties to achieve group and personal goals.
12. Clean equipment as directed by supervisor.
13. Seek to learn members' names and welcome them personally.
14. Attend all required staff meetings, both departmental and branch/assoc. level.
15. Be a team player and assist co-workers in other departments when needed.
16. Teach, promote and practice the five YMCA Character Development Values.
17. Perform team assignments associated with the Annual Partners campaign.
18. Maintain certifications by meeting continuing education requirements (YMCA certifications require 15 CEC's every 3 years) and keep current with trends in the field/industry.
19. Refrain from diagnosing injuries, offering medical advice and dispensing or endorsing any and all commercial health products especially nutritional supplements, vitamins, performance enhancing substances and pain relievers.
20. Be actively engaged with members on the wellness floor and in group exercise classes. This includes talking with, assisting, demonstrating and enhancing their YMCA experience.
21. Other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y's values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. A 4 year college degree in a health related field is preferred. Will accept equal number of years of experience in lieu of college degree.
2. Requires 1-2 years experience in the health and wellness field.
3. Must have a National Personal Training or Strength Training certification from one of the following certifying bodies: ACE, ACSM, NSCA, IDEA, NETA, AFAA, Cooper's IAR, ISSA, NASM, NPTI, NFPT, AFPA, IFPA, NSCF, NESTA or any other certification which obtain accreditation from the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) or National Fitness Board of Examiners (NFBE) and
must be a "live" certification.
4. Have knowledge of fitness related research and program design including basic anatomy, physiology, exercise principles and behavior change methods.
5. Certifications required within the first week of hire: Redwoods Bloodborne Pathogens, Hazardous Communications.
6. Certifications required within the first 60 days of hire: CPR Pro and First Aid. If working at a location with a pool, must also complete O2 certification.
7. Must obtain YMCA certifications within 6 months of employment, these include, but are not limited to, YMCA Principles of Healthy Lifestyles and YMCA Foundations of Strength & Conditioning.
1. Work is performed in a fast-paced wellness floor/office environment.
2. Visual acuity is required for reading computer screens and/or documents and making changes as necessary.
3. Job requires high levels of alertness and concentration.
4. Repetitive stooping and bending with occasional lifting of up to 20 pounds is required.
5. Ability to sit for long periods at a time is also required.
6. Ability to stand for at least 1 hour for presentations important.
7. Employee must be able to hear, speak and understand the words of others, as well as, the ability to manipulate keyboards, telephone keypads, writing utensils is essential.
Westside Family YMCA
[posted Apr 13, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference exercisejobs.com.