Health Fitness Specialist
National Institute for Fitness and Sport
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
Job Description and Requirements
The Health Fitness Specialist uses independent judgment and educational experience to ensure quality in all areas of the Fitness Center including but not limited to customer service, member services, group fitness offerings, and other Fitness Center or departmental initiatives. The Health Fitness Specialist reports to the manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Supervises fitness center in absence of Manager or Assistant Manager; exercises independent judgment with regard to facility management if the Manager and Assistant Manager are absent
* Performs fitness assessments and exercise prescriptions using independent and professional judgment which is based on professional education/training
* Follows ACSM guidelines as the basis for individual program design; nuances member programs according to individual goals, health concerns, and other factors
* Uses educational background and other relevant training to accurately and safely answer member questions related to health, fitness, wellbeing
* Conducts orientations according to the facility layout, membership policies/procedures, and Quality Assurance guidelines
* Implements and participates in NIFS and client-led programs and services
* Teaches group exercise classes onsite adhering to appropriate safety guidelines while keeping classes inviting, challenging, and well-attended
* Assists with marketing programs and services to members and other employees/residents of the client
* Establishes an ongoing positive and professional rapport with members
* Supports special events (e.g., races, charity walks) during business and non-business hours as needed
* Evaluates health forms in accordance with ACSM guidelines and uses professional judgment to determine how to process each application
* Creates educational and program-specific print materials (e.g., handouts, promotional fliers, etc) that are relevant to the population and that convey safe and accurate health information
* Cross-trains to learn some responsibilities of the Assistant Manager
* Writes clearly and informatively, varies writing style to meet audience needs.
* Partners with other staff to help clean equipment and other areas of the facility as needed
* Demonstrates work ethic, ingenuity, customer care, and attention to detail
Bachelors degree in a health-related field from a four year college/university.
ACSM Health/Fitness Instructor Certification preferred, other industry-related certifications (CPT, CSCS, etc) acknowledged, current CPR/AED/First Aid certification required upon hire, trained in Universal Precautions (provided by NIFS).
* May, at any time, be required to submit to and successfully pass a thorough background check and/or drug screen
* Must have regular and reliable transportation to and from work
NIFS is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, references and wage expectations.
[posted Jan 25, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference exercisejobs.com.