Job: Group Exercise Instructor (Enhanced Fitness)
Group Exercise Instructor (Enhanced Fitness)
Group Exercise Instructor
Hernando County Branch
Spring Hill, Florida 34609
Job Description and Requirements
Under the direction of the Fitness Director/Coordinator and consistent with the mission of the YMCA of the Suncoast, the group exercise instructor is responsible for instructing safe, effective and fun group exercise, as well as, enhancing the quality and growth of the program and retention of the participants.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Must be at least 16 years old. Must be able to teach at least one format of safe, effective and fun group exercise classes that meet all necessary components and safe guidelines in accordance with YMCA of the USA accepted practices of exercise physiology. Before access to Personal Health Information (PHI), group HIPAA training required. Within 90 days of hire, CPR, AED, and First Aid certification required. Within 90 days of hire, Foundation of Listen First, Orientation to Healthy Living, Principles of Member Health and Wellness, Wellness Center at the Y or Group Exercise at the Y, and Intro to the Ys Cause and Culture trainings required. Get SMART preferred.
SPECIAL SKILLS OR EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
Must be able to articulate and communicate effectively while instructing participants in proper execution of exercise safety. Must have current knowledge of exercise class structure; demonstration of cueing technique; demonstration of creative choreography and exercise variety. In addition to effective communication an instructor must have a positive attitude and ability to work independently.
PHYSICAL AND/OR MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must have the ability to conduct, demonstration and safely lead classes at the intensity level formatted for participants with effective communication and human relations skills to handle situations with people of all socioeconomic levels. Physical stamina and agility for extended periods of time is required.
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prepares room prior to class to ensure it starts on time.
2. Responsible for choreography and music selection that meets YMCA guidelines.
3. Create a nurturing and safe environment by reporting suspicious activity that may lead to child abuse or may violate the code of conduct. Keep supplies organized, maintain and clean facility and care for equipment.
A. Maintains cleanliness of all audio equipment. (mic,cd's, batteries, etc.)
B. Responsible for the care, returning, and storage of all class equipment
4. Exercises sound judgment in relationship to class safety and injuries. Understands and follows all emergency procedures
5. Engages in positive public relations with members. Role models SMART
A. Maintains an air of professionalism at all times.
B. Wears Appropriate dress code approved uniform while on duty.
6. Attend all staff meetings, in-house trainings, demonstrations and special promotions as designated by supervisor.
7. Each instructor is responsible for covering his/her own class when unable to attend. Fitness director is a last resort for assistance. Instructor could be replaced if they are consistently unable to meet the schedule of their class.
Key Leadership Competencies:
Hernando County Branch YMCA
[posted Jun 26, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference exercisejobs.com.