Group Exercise Instructor - Brooks YMCA
Group Exercise Instructor
Jacksonville, Florida 32256
Job Description and Requirements
Instructs group classes, provides excellent service to members in a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment that promotes member wellness and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
1. Leads group classes, as directed by the supervisor, to accomplish the YMCA mission and goals. Meets class participation goal set for the class and branch standards.
2. Conducts energizing, fun, safe, and educational classes.
3. Builds effective relationships with members; helps members connect with each other and the YMCA.
4. Maintains working knowledge of wellness and trends to provide effective information and support to members.
5. Coaches and motivates members during class.
6. Acts professionally. Maintains accurate weekly attendance records, adheres to cleaning standards, dresses appropriately, is punctual, and maintains consistency with attendance and timekeeping.
7. Promotes other classes.
8. Contributes to the member retention rate for the branch.
9. Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations, reports all incidents to direct supervisor and provides any necessary follow-up.
10. Improves the health and well-being of the community the YMCA serves.
11. Assists in equipment cleaning and maintenance, informing the coordinator of any breakage or items needing replacement.
12. Engages members before and after each class and welcomes all new participants.
13. Addresses questions and concerns of YMCA members with exceptional service and ensures adequate follow through in a timely manner.
14. Secures any substitute needed for instruction of scheduled class that cannot be taught.
15. Attends staff meetings and any other training as assigned.
16. Articulates the Y's Mission in order to provide assistance to all and participates in the annual campaign.
17. Completes annual trainings in a timely manner. (Redwoods, CPR, First Aid, etc.)
18. Any other duties assigned.
NOTE: This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
YMCA Competencies (Leader):
Values: Accepts and demonstrates the Y's values.
Philanthropy: Supports fundraising.
Relationships: Builds rapport and relates well to others.
Decision Making: Makes sound judgments and transfers learning from one situation to another.
Quality Results: Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Self-Development: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance.
1. Required certifications: CPR, First Aid, AED, national certification (ACE, NETA, AFAA, NASM) in group fitness instruction or YMCA Foundations of Group Exercise certification.
2. Certification in areas of expertise. YMCA Healthy Lifestyles certification within 60 day of hire (available through Leadership University).
3. At least one year of experience teaching group wellness classes preferred.
1. Conduct classes and activities relating to fitness.
2. Perform all physical aspects of the position; including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50 lbs.
3. Communicate both orally and in writing.
4. Audition and perform skills necessary to lead others in a group fitness environment.
5. Eyesight (with or without correction).
6. Hearing (with or without correction).
[posted Nov 10, 2017]
When responding to this opportunity, reference exercisejobs.com.