How To Use Social Media To Enhance Your Business
“2.1 of the 7.2 billion people worldwide have social media accounts. 3.65 billion of these are mobile users that have access to the internet via smartphones and tablets,” according to Wearesocial.net. Social media is big and it keeps growing every day, month, and year. With the increase use of mobile users, social media has become a daily routine for many people and they spend hours and hours on their phone staying connected to the world. Since so many people have social media accounts, using your social media platforms to enhance your business should be a necessary no-brainer. If you are a personal trainer, health fitness specialist, fitness instructor, corporate fitness associate, group exercise instructor, or have a gym job, you will benefit from having at least one or two social media platforms.
Here are 5 key tips on how to use social media to increase your profit, optimize your recognition, and grow your business.
- Determine your target audience. Before joining every social media platform for your business like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, Google +, etc., figure out who your audience is. What platforms do they primarily use? For example, according to Pew Research Center, as of September of 2014, 71% of adults use Facebook while only 26% of adults use Instagram. Therefore, if your target audience is adults, you may want to focus on Facebook. Once you figure out which platforms your target audience is on, focus only on those platforms.
- Learn how to connect. Just like starting a conversation with someone new or meeting someone in real life, social media is meant to be a form of conversation. Share, like, and/or comment on peoples’ posts. When you show other people you are interested in them, too, they’ll show interest back. Social media is not just a one-way street where you rant and rave. It’s a form of community.
- Have a cohesive brand across platforms. If you choose to have more than one platform, make sure to have the same voice. Determine what message you want to send to your audience and be consistent with that message. Many people set up accounts on Hootsuite or SproutSocial to manage their social media postings so the same message goes across multiple platforms in a one-spot stop.
- Be consistent. Social media is social – which means you need to be on it often. Keep it simple and excel in just 1-2 platforms in the beginning so you don’t over-exert your time and energy and you focus on daily People who engage and interact often tend to have the most success with growth and following.
- Professional vs Personal. Be genuine. Be yourself. Let your own voice shine through. And show your personality. You’ll grow your audience better because they’ll be able to connect with you. Make sure to establish a professional page/account for all your chosen platforms. For more info on this topic, here’s a link to a past article: Keeping Social Media Personal & Professional: Engaging Your Clients.
Social media is definitely here to stay and is a must for any business. Check out past articles on the topic of social media.
Connect with me further online. My links are below. Chat with you there.
Sarah Koszyk is the founder of Family. Food. Fiesta. A family-based wellness program and recipe blog where she also conducts cooking videos with kids and provides families with healthy living tips. She is a Registered Dietitian and Nutrition Coach where she specializes in sports nutrition and adult and pediatric weight management. Connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, or LinkedIn.