How To Plan Your Fitness Career Path
First off, make sure to have some type of health-related degree and/or fitness certification when embarking on a career in the fitness industry. Certifications enhance one’s expertise and provide credibility. For more information on why and how to get further training and certifications, check out:
Once you have the education you need to succeed, now you can determine which area of the fitness industry you want to move forward with. There is an abundance of opportunities for health and fitness professionals. The options can be overwhelming. However, with the right guidance and direction, you can successfully plan your fitness career path.
Here are 5 tips on how to plan your fitness career path.
1. Make a list. List the jobs of interest. For example, do you want personal training, group exercise, programming management, corporate wellness, club ownership, etc. After you make the list, write down the pros and cons of each job option.
2. Do your research. Once you decide which area you would like to focus on, find a facility that offers that type of work. Start to visit various gyms, wellness centers, etc., to see what they are like regarding the work culture, environment, and feel. Figure out which one you could see yourself working at or being a part of.
3. Get experience. The best way to move forward in your career is to get hands-on experience. Offer your services either paid or volunteer. The experience will also help you determine if this position and company is the right fit.
4. Find a mentor. Continued growth in life is always important. We learn from the best. Surrounding yourself with people who are knowledgeable, educated, and willing to share their expertise with you will enhance your wisdom and help you grow as a professional.
5. Network. Building a community within your new profession can result in potential job opportunities and business ventures. Many times in life, success is about who you know to get to where you want to go. Keep an open mind when meeting people and always look for the opportunity in everything
Building a community within your new profession can result in potential job opportunities and business ventures. Many times in life, success is about who you know to get to where you want to go. Keep an open mind when meeting people and always look for the opportunity in everything.
Remember that there is no “right” way to enter the fitness industry. Just keep on going and enjoy every moment. Look at each experience as a learning opportunity and you will find your way to a successful, long-lasting career.